Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by bangeye
I'll just say that I bought a sfp scope and basically hated the thing for a hunting rifle. The problem for me is I tend to like to shoot scopes of 4x or less because at higher magnifications the perception of wobble is off putting to me. While the scale on a sfp range finder can be useful at top magnification in my case 12x turn your scope down to 4,5 or 6x and you have to tape a matrix printout to the side of your stock to keep up with the various ranges t that the marks on the reticle are zeroed to. Plus if you turn it down that much your first hash mark will likely be 600-800 yds so what are you to do at 525 yds? So my scope quickly went down the road and I decided that if I ever got anothèr one it woule a fixed midrange power and if a variable a ffp ymmv of course but I was really unimpressed by the technology. Im a old fart and frankly a 300 yd zero has served me well so I see the ranging reticle as a answer to a problem that doesn't really exist for me.

I can't believe what I am reading. with a FFP you can't see the freaking hash marks at 4x!!!!!! If your trying to shoot 600 yards on 4x your basically aiming at an area rather than anything precise. Are you trying to free hand the shot at that range?!?! you talk about wobble you aint going to hit jack crap at those distances without a steady rest no matter what kind of scope you have. to sum it up, if you need the features of the reticle unless your scope is over 15x on its max setting you should never need to dial it down from max if your shooting far enough to need the features of the reticle. IE hold off marks. So SFP is the only reasonable scope in this power range. If you want a higher power scope like say 6-24 where you might want to dial down because of mirage then FFP might have value to your situation. OR if yours some type of tactical shooter that needs to dial down because they want more FOV or some other reason related to competition. The more I am on forums the more I see that most people simply don't shoot all that much. Its like the guy that claims to shoot 50 coyotes a year and says vmax bullets never splash from his 22-250.

Friend you need to take a powder and possiably enroll in some reading comprehension lessons . I simply stated that for my purposes I didn't find the technology very useful especially at 300 yds which was the question the OP asked. What is it about the ymmv statement do you not get. Geeze