Originally Posted by Omid
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Never owned a FFP riflescope so I don't know what I am missing. smile .

FFP scopes have two fundamental benefits:

a) They are inherently more reliable indicators of point of aim. In zoom scopes, the erector lenses (those after objective and before eyepiece) move forward and backward. This movement causes some wobble in their lateral position so they will not produce the same exact image center at the SFP. If your reticle is before these lenses (i.e FFP), you don't need to worry about this flaw. In most high-end scopes with SFP reticle, this wobble error is generally kept to less than 1 MOA but it is still there. I know that only ultra high-end Hensoldt scopes designed for military applications have this issue positively mitigated (their engineers told me that it costs approximately $200 per scope to check and eliminate this error).

b) The reticle remain the same size compared to target at all magnifications. So, they can be used for range finding, bullet drop estimation etc. at all magnifications.

None of these are critical for deer or general big game hunting at reasonable ethical ranges. So, feel free to choose a good SFP scope from brands that you trust.

Sincerely,
-Omid

There is a third fundamental benefit of FFP scopes, that being the reticle increases in size as magnification increases. Non-illuminated FFP scopes resolve a better image in low light conditions at higher magnification where reticles are more heavily massed (larger) and are easier to see.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty