Mule Deer,

I have really warmed up to my CZ Varminter. Plenty accurate and after I monkeyed with it and got it to feed it has been great.

I am still struggling with the hand loading for it though.

My least favorite activity at the bench is case prep. I dont mind so much the chamfer and deburr process, but cutting primer pockets is lame.

Most of the pockets are the correct depth, but all of the pockets need chamfered so a primer will seat and not crush. I imagine its like crimped brass.

I understand that buying empty brass is silly when loaded ammo is so cheap, but I would rather not buy a bunch more ammo with goofy primer pockets.

Is there a way to look up lot numbers to be able to tell if the ammo inside the box has good pockets? I assume the more recent ammo is good to go, but my luck would be to buy a bunch of older stuff.

Is there a lot number break you are aware of?

Secondly, I could use some guidance on a powder measure......specifically the adapters for each caliber size.

I use an older Uniflow that I bought new probably 15 years ago. It was the style with the screw in adapters. I did not have a .17 adapter for it so I had to "upgrade" to the slip in O ring style from RCBS.

I find these adapters to be much worse than the old screw in style. They are bulkier and deeper. I had to shave a bunch off the .17 adapter to get it to where it would not spill as much powder. There is still a gap around the case mouth and a 17 hornet case will slip right through the hole.

AA 1680 is fine granulated, as you know, and it does not bridge the gap.

What measure and adapter are you using for your .17 Hornet activities?

Thanks in advance

Jim Conrad

I am MAGA.