Hi Jim,

I use a Redding BR-30 measure with a Redding .17 caliber adapter, which friction-fits onto the outside of the standard spout. But in the past have purchased plastic .17 funnels and cut them off, taping them to the spout of other measures. This works too, but doesn't look nearly as slick as the adapter Huntsman uses!

I don't know what lot numbers of .17 Hornet brass have problem primer pockets, but maybe Hornady will provide that info. The one batch I got that had the shallow pockets was once-fired brass purchased off the Campfire Classifieds. I used a stout drill motor with a Redding pocket uniformer to deepen around 250 pockets, but would just as soon not do it again.

That said, I use so many different kinds of brass that some inevitably needs the edges of the primer pockets chamfered. These days I use the same drill motor with a 45-degree wood-screw countersink, giving it just enough of a zip to knock the edge off. Just did this a couple weeks ago with 200 pieces of once-fired Black Hills .308 match brass, and it didn't take long at all.

Glad you're liking the little .17. There's a lot to like!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck