I am in the process of gathering what I need to do a build/rebuild similar to what you are doing. I am wanting a handy little rifle in a 250 Savage, for no other reason than because I want a rifle in that caliber without spending a lot of money. I am getting it to hunt with, not to look at. On the advice of 260Remguy, I have gotten a Marlin XS7 in a 243 Win to use for the action (cost-225), instead of a Savage action which I had originally planned for.

I just found a Boyd's laminated stock for sale here on the Fire for 90 that I am waiting on. I originally was going to get a Boyd's walnut stock with checkering. When I saw the laminate stock here for that price, I decided to go ahead and get it, and if all works out with the rifle I will get the stock I want a little ways down the road and possibly look at doing another build like this one with the laminate stock.

I am looking at an ER Shaw barrel as well. I am unsure if I am going to buy the barrel and do the job myself...or send it to them and have the barrel done. I want to do it myself, but after reading and reading some more about the subject I am unsure if I will do it or not. Some say that the short shank barrel with match up with no problems and others say the barrel will need to be set back just a little bit. So I am still undecided on that end of it. I really want to do it myself, so we will see. Good luck with your project!

PS...for the last 6 yrs. or so, I have hunted almost exclusively with a Marlin 7 in a 25/06, and I love the little rifle. So for the build, I am okay with the trigger on the rifle so I won't be changing it out.