Let's put it this way. You end up with $1100 in a RAR. You decide to sell it. You might recoup $300 for a used one, but only if you find someone that agrees ,with your ideas.

I have done two custom builds. After a while I get bored with most things. Bottom line is that I lost all of the custom work fees when it came time to sell.

I have a custom stocked late 50s FN that someone decided to sell. The stock just happens to work for me. I gave less than what the labor for the custom stock would have been at the time for the rifle. Someone took a bath on that one. I also have a custom hand engraved and beautifully stocked 1903 Springfield that cost me an ordinary handgun almost 40 years ago. Both of these rifles are shooters.

I can see a younger man doing a build on a pre 64 M70 or a desirable Mauser and hunting it for a lifetime, but you will not get out on that at anywhere near a grand. Do the RAR, and I bet you will want to try a better rifle shortly.

Your money, your choice. Be happy, but be warned.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/14/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero