Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Looking for tips on staying fresh during a week long DIY backpack hunt. Will be hiking out from a base camp each morning, leaving camp in the dark and returning at dark. Any tips on staying fresh during a week long trip? Current thoughts:

- Short naps on the mountain
- A rest day mid-week or if the weather is poor
- More sitting and glassing, less constant hiking.
- Staying hydrated and eating enough cals.

Looking forward to the feedback.

Slow and steady wins the race. Pace yourself. You can go longer and farther slow and steady than you will fast with lots of rest breaks. Mid day naps are also great.
The biggest thing though is being in shape before the hunt. The hunt is not the time to try to get in shape or lose weight.

Take along something you enjoy. I pack a snickers for every day. It does great things for my spirits while eating it. I used to avoid coffee, but now some instant crystals in my water bottle in the morning gets my head right. If I had a base camp, I'd have something to drink once I got in, usually a Dr Pepper, that would get my mind right before going to bed. Simple things really, but things that can provide a mental boost.

For me it's more mental than physical. If you don't embrace the miserable conditions, they can get you down.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.