Originally Posted by 17_wizzer
I think a few things can help keep your mental game "fresh".

My personal recipe during the long days or a long week - are a combo of several things:

I look at pictures of past hunts, as well as pics of my wife and kids (on my phone), reflecting on the journey and remembering that success was a result of the effort - most of the pictures jog a good memory and elicit a few laughs too

I listen to music that matches my mood ; energetic could be alternative/ r&b/ even metal; -- chillax could be jazz/ cuban/ spanish guitar; -- when i need a laugh or for fun country; fireside - whatever makes sense for the setting
For the music, as well as using OnX maps I bring extra charger/battery sticks for my phone.

I bring a current book (mostly business related, or specifically on motivation and leadership) - reading during lulls in the action or when I need a break from glassing.

I take a midday nap. But beware that this can and will one day cost you an opportunity. That lesson will stick with you for every nap afterwards too.

I also tend to glass many more miles than I hike everyday. I hike on average 10+ miles a day. But a lot of that hiking is done in the dark. I sit and glass most of the daylight hours, and plan my stalks.

In addition to all of that I always, always, always bring elk jerky with me. Something truly primitive yet inspiring about eating last year's harvest while on a quest for more.

I agree with the other gents suggestions of keeping your clothes and self clean, resting well, eating proficiently, using supplements (Mtn Ops, or Wilderness Training) and training hard before the season. HIIT high intensity interval training is a great way to do this.

And if you're a believer (like I am) I send up prayers of thankfulness especially while enjoying God's magnificent creation. I find myself praying/ conversing with my heavenly Father a lot during a hunt.

For me hunting is my sanity reset button. It is also strengthens my spiritual walk too. In this crazy, frantic world I find myself needing hunting season to get me through it all.

Lastly...Very few animals (for me at least) have come easily. Most were earned through perseverance and persistence. When in doubt power through it all. Just over the next hill is a new opportunity.

Some great advice here. Thank you!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker