I became a moose hunter in my late 40's and actually learned the craft a bit in my 50's. Now at 57 I am a pretty confident moose guy. A big freighter canoe with a motor is the classic way I like to hunt. The canoe allows you to get were moose live and transport them back with a minimum of fuss. I would go one of three places.... Newfoundland, Yukon or Alaska.
In Yukon book with an outfitter who specializes in river hunts, I have never used an outfitter so I am not much good there but the Duelings are a pretty good and honest clan up here so I wouldn't be afraid to use Dueling outfitters.

As for gear, if outfitted you wont need much. I take binoculars and leave the spotter at home. 30-06 or 35 Whelen are both good but I'd prefer the 35. Non stainless is fine if you bring a good river case and some cleaning supplies. A come-along is a must. Hip waders or even chest highs are a must. I have used ankle fits but actually prefer waterproof breathable waders with neoprene foot and wader boots. Can wear these all day without discomfort. If self guided a saw or axe is important for processing.

If you can afford it go guided the first time. I think you can self guide possibly in Alaska but it is a big learning curve and someone to show the ropes is a good idea. Dealing with 1000+ pounds of animal is a bit intimidating until you learn how to break them down. If you use gutless skinning on deer you can handle a moose since it is just scaled up. If you don't use the gutless method and are not sure how to zip of the front and back legs I would hate to learn on a moose. Some outfitters might use heavy machinery or a group of lads so they might not teach you gutless skinning/processing but I'd ask that question up front since it is so handy to know.

Last edited by North61; 10/13/17.