Originally Posted by hatari
Don't be bashful about getting in practice off shooting sticks with a .22. All of the skills and none of the noise or cost. Eastern Cape hunting will usually get you within 200 yards of your game. Be fit, but EC hunting is not elk or sheep strenuous in all but specialized cases. Weather is very nice in July, and can be cool in the mornings and evenings. Be prepared for lows in the low 40s and the high for the day to be anywhere from 58f to 80f. I know that's quite a range, but i've hunted in short sleeves and in a medium heavy coat and gloves in July there.

Love the idea of practice on the sticks with a .22. That kind of weather sounds perfect to me.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I don't know squat about factory loads, but whatever you use here in the states for deer will be just fine, assuming you hit them right the first time.

For scopes, I use nothing but fixed 6X, plus a few random 4X for good measure. I did borrow my pH's rifle in the Limpopo though, but never took the variable he had off of 3X or maybe 4X...can't quit remember.

One thing I should add: bring half the cloths and twice the money you were planning to...

Thanks for the heads up on clothes. I think my son and I should both be able to fit in one 50lb bag.