There are many opinions on where to overnight in J'burg. IMHO:

City Lodge in the Airport--most convenient, especially if you have to catch an early flight out the next morning. It is as nice and modern as any modern one in the US. Food is good, but supper costs extra. When I stayed there for some reason the restaurant wasn't open that night, so I had to wander around the airport to find airport food to eat. Breakfast was great.

Africa Sky--Fantastic place to kick back and stretch your legs some after a long flight. They will handle all of your meet and greet/SAPS, shuttling so you don't have to worry about any of it. It's a 10 minute ride from the airport. You will get a fantastic steak dinner and great breakfast included in the price, and you can grab a few free beers as well. Rooms are nice, clean and comfy, service is great. They also have a USA bank account, therefore you can just go down and deposit your check right into their account and have everything paid before you go, and don't have to use a credit card or cash while you're there.

I'd probably take the 300mag in case you decide to whack an eland. The 270 would work fine for everything else, and probably the eland too with a premium bullet. Eland are HUGE! Good luck, sounds like you and your son will have a blast.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.