Originally Posted by duck911
I love to watch certain events in the winter Olympics. I like the luge and bobsled, curling, many of the nordic events, and especially hockey.

But I SWEAR, if I see a single american athlete so much as TWITCH when our flag is being raised or our anthem is being played, the TV goes off and I will be ice fishing and goose hunting the rest of the month.

More than any other athletic moment in our country, this event is about NATION FIRST.

Agreed in full. In fact, the Olympics is in part a substitution for war. It is a means to pit nations against each Other, without using bullets and bombs. Many of the events have a history in war. The hammer throw, the skiing and shooting (biathlon?) Marathon races come from the plains of Marathon where a messenger ran 26miles to report, then died on the spot. Javilan throw, (just to name a few) all get thier start in warfare.
It clearly is not the first time the Olympics has been a focus of political tensions though.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~