TOM,

Maybe you posted that story about 110 AccuBonds before, but I don't remember for sure.

I do remember having posted the following information, several times, on the Campfire:

During a relatively brief period, a year or two after AccuBonds were introduced, demand was so high that one worker in the Nosler plant decided to speed up the task at his station. Unfortunately, his speed-up prevented the bullets from bonding, and some of those left the factory. Nosler recalled as many as they could from distributors and stores, but a few had already been sold to handloaders. Those were the AccuBonds that came apart as you describe.

In the big scheme of things very few made it into the field, but the memory lingers on, despite excellent results from AccuBonds both before and afterward. In fact I've never encountered any despite starting to use AccuBonds their first year, and using some most years since. My last animal taken with an AccuBond was a whitetail doe, shot last November here in Montana, a 150-grain from a .308 Winchester. The bullet entered just inside the left shoulder as the deer stood almost directly facing me, 75 yards away, and was recovered from under the skin of the rump on the opposite side, retaining over 60% of its weight.

Since AccuBonds appeared, my hunting partners and I have taken 17 species of big game with them in both North America and Africa. ("Hunting partners" means people I was hunting with when they took the animals.) They've included animals from pronghorns and springbok to eland and moose, including elk, grizzly and the three elk-sized African plains game animals considered perhaps the toughest to drop--blue wildebeest, gemsbok and zebra. The bullets have ranged from the 110-grain .25 to the 260-grain .375, and around 80% exited. Those recovered looked very similar to the bullets pictured in the first post of this thread.

While I realize that personal experience (even very limited experience) is always stronger for many humans than solid evidence from elsewhere, do you really think AccuBonds would be so popular if the performance you saw was typical?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck