I’ve been considering a .280 or .280 AI for quite some time. I’ve seen a few 1909 Argentine and K98 Mauser builds that were quite nicely built. Price range for such rifles was between about $900.00 to about $1,700.00. I’m just fishing here, but as I was looking into these two calibers I looked into many other 7mm cartridges. Despite the fact that I favor classic cartridges and I’m biased against short actions, ultra mags, super-duper magnums, etc., I began to read about the 7mm SAUM. Based upon what I read, this chambering seems to me like an excellent cartridge, useful for deer sized game up to moose at both “normal” hunting ranges and well beyond. Although I have never attempted to shoot at such distances, it’s nice to know that this cartridge is capable when I’m ready to start punching paper at long range.

In a departure from my “classic” rifle preferences, I was thinking about a hyper-accurate build including the following:

- Chambering: 7mm SAUM
- Action: American Rifle Co. (ARC) Mausingfield action (action must be CRF)
- Barrel: Kreiger? 1:8 twist w/ savage barrel nut
- Stock: 3 color GAP
- Bottom metal: ?
- Trigger: Timney
- Magazines: Alpha Industries Type 4

I feel pretty confident I could screw all this together myself, but I’d need to take it to a gunsmith to set the head space.

I'm sure I'd be happy with a .280 or .280 AI, but what say you about this whole idea?

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/06/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue