Originally Posted by OReloader
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by OReloader
Look into back packing quilts/ hammocking quilts

I've got a down 30 degree quilt that when paired with my down puffer will get me well into the 20s on the ground. A slightly lower rated quilt and your base layer should get you down well into the teens if not single digits. Check out these - http://www.hammockgear.com/econ-quilts/ I run their 10 degree bottom quilt with my 30 degree sierra design top quilt ( i would have bought a hammock gear top quilt if i had known about them at the time!) and ended sweating down the upper twenties, had to strip off my puffer and ended up using it as a pillow.

As for ground pads. look into a klymit insulated short or ultra light. if you feet stick out past the end who cares.

Who cares? Anyone who does not want to freeze all night. Those feet need to be on the pad,

who cares is no one who's actually running this stuff in the back country. your head doesn't need to be on the pad either, I typically shove extra cloths under my head inside a stuff sack or on my main pack. if your heels just extend past the pad, but are inside a quilt, that and a good pair of socks will take care of your feet just fine. Do you even quilt bro? if your body and legs are warm on top of a nice insulated pad then your feet will be fine even in sub freezing temps. By going with a short pad you can shave 4-5 ounces in some cases, and still have a very robust pad.

On the other side of the argument if you skimp on insulation you can have a full pad with extra width and your ass is going to freeze off right around 32*

Ounce's add up quick out there, especially when your talking food and water and a rifle.

I've 'run this stuff in the back country' for longer than I care to dwell on. If your heels are on the ground, you will feel it. If you want to use a short pad and perch your head and feet on dirty underwear or dead marmots for insulation, be my guest.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill