LarryfromBend: Yes indeed the resulting "WHOP" of a Winchester 40 grain Power-Point on a center mass hit Ground Squirrel is distinct and impressive!
North and west of me a minimum of 150 miles lives a distinctly different (and 25% larger!) species of Ground Squirrel - I don't get to Hunt them as often as I would like to.
Anyway when these larger and heavier Varmints are hit with the Power-Points the sound is even more impressive!
I have heard the reports from some that the current production Power-Points are not as accurate as the "older" Power-Points - I don't know?
I do know the current production Power-Points do not disappoint me in the several guns (pistols and Rifles) I use them in, accuracy wise.
I am not sure how far one would have to go back to find the "more accurate" version of these Power-Points and maybe one third of my current crop of Power-Point shooters have been in my arsenal for 10 years and more.
So it would be hard to quantify from me, this contention.
Again I am happy that Wal-Mart is offering these favored bullets (by me!) at such a bargain price!
Maybe I will keep an eye out for one (or a couple?) of the older gray cardboard boxed Winchester Power-Points and if I find some I will wait for a dead calm day and take my heavy barreled Remington 40X out and test the two different era Power-Points side by side.
My rimfire 40X has a top of the line Nikon 5.5x16.5 power variable scope on it - I could also put my extra 36 power "testing scope" on it for the possible upcoming test.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy