Well, I really don't know where to begin, so the logical place it the beginning. The trip up was OK at best. Weather plagued us most of the way heading north. First rain, then snow, then both mixed with heavy winds. As we approached the Gaspe, the sun broke out and things were looking up. We checked in at the motel LeGaspesiena and had a wonderful room looking over the Gulf of St Lawrence. What we saw was "almost" unbelievable to me. Early in the morning on Sunday November 19th I thought I was looking at a group of whales, then I thought seals. I didn't have my glasses on. What it turned out to be was a group of SURFERS................. What the hell, are they nuts???

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On Monday the 20th we were to fly at 10:40 AM. We woke for breakfast and looked out. It was snowing very hard and the winds were a steady 40 MPH. The snow was sideways. We booked it to the airport and checked in. The organizer said she had some bad news. The plane was delayed 1 hour. I said, "bad news?" To me that was GREAT news. Another long story short. ONE hour turned into almost 10 hours. The snow intensified as did the winds. I figured NO WAY would they fly in this. The reason for the plane delay was not weather related, but mechanical. The plane taxied out to the runway in Montreal and powered up for takeoff when they lost all power. They towed it back to the hanger and swapped to another plane. THIS next plane also had mechanical issues. FINALLY they got one into the air and reached us in Mont Joli at about 8 PM. We boarded and headed to the island. I was absolutely amazed they would fly in such conditions.

The picture of the wind sock was about noon time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All of the reports we had heard was the the deer herd was down. Down was an understatement. Nan and I BOTH decided as long as it didn't have spots it would end up with a tag. We never got to bed the night before until around mid night and I was up at 4 AM for coffee. When the guide showed up with our placements, I was to go to one of my favorite tree stands. It is on a very well used run that is used year after year. I was only in the tree for about 45 minutes when this nice doe showed herself. Honestly, I didn't give in much thought considering what we had been told. I fired at her and it was about 70 yards. I could tell my shot was good. There was about a foot of snow on the ground and I could see blood from about 30 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I learned from a member here of this German custom. I have always respected the deer I kill. I decided to do the same this year and will continue to do so.

It is a custom from Europe (Germany) Where the Jagermiester ( master hunter ) after killing an animal would honor the animal by placing an evergreen sprig in the mouth to honor the life cycle of the animal. He would also place a sprig in his hat. Putting the sprig in its mouth is giving the animal his final meal before you consume the animal. It is just a way of honoring the cycle of life.

There will be more of the story to follow, but I am at work right now and have to get back to business. Thanks for your patience.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5