Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Here is one for you.

I shot my first deer with a 45-70 yesterday. I was in the ground still hunting and the deer was coming straight for me. I knelt and shot him just as he popped into the clear. So, was at the exact same level as his chest at about 40 yards. At the shot he ran about 150 yards and I saw him pitch over and flop around. When I got to him he was still alive and kicking pretty hard and it took him another 30 to 45 seconds to die.

So I was shooting that Hornady 325 Gmx round for the 45-70. The bullet penetrated him stem to stern through the body cavity the entire way. It never touched any meat. The deer's heart was literally in three pieces when I took it out. Some of his lungs were jellied and of course, the stomach was a mess. We

The weirdest thing though was that his stomach contents came out the front. It was like shaking a coke bottle and having all the contents come out the hole. The contents of its stomach came up to the front hole and were all over between the skin and the body in the front of that deer. Under the leg and on the ribs there were stomach contents everywhere. And it was in the meat, even though the shot had passed through the chest cavity and never touched the meat. The flank outside the ribs was heavily bloodshot and covered in stomach content even though the ribs themselves were between that meat and the bullet.

Like I said it was like shaking up a coke bottle. Except maybe you shake up a bottle and then slap a plastic bag over the top of it and watch the mess.

So I'm curious, what do you think happened?

I don’t know. I’ve shot more than a hundred deer with everything from a .22 LR to a 9.3x62 and that was some unique damage.