Posted by GeneB...

I found the tap's & dies on eBay (from China, I think). I made some using long wood screws that had a length of un-threaded shank to work with.

Don't try to turn the screws through the die using a screw driver in the slot, wood screws are to soft & the head will get damaged, clamp on the other end either in vise or a drill chuck. Grind down the wood screw threads a little if you have to to get them to go through the die easy enough that the head isn't damaged.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just to add another note, the 5-48 screw is also used to attach the No 29B sight to the Model 1904 and the No 27B to the Models 1909, 1911 & 1912.

The 3/16-36 is also the size of the plugged hole forward on the barrels of 1919 NRA's (for an optional barrel sight, the 29B, or a scope block) and to attach the version of No 29B sight used on the 1922 SPORTERS. It's also the same thread as the front tang sight screw for Winchesters.

The heads on the wood screws usually have a wider slot and a higher contour so they could be filed down a little to look more like the originals.

Per Lightfoot: I believe that the screw that holds the model 99 bolt stop and trigger spring is also a 5-48.

Last edited by Rick99; 12/05/17.