By: Grogel_Deluxe

Note: I could not get the pictures to copy so have attached the link to the original posting and the text-only part. Original posting with pictures

I found in a old marbles catalog you could buy a repair kit if your spring went bad and I found the patented drawing so I could get an idea what i was in for inside and went in.

Im sorry, I only have my cell phone for pics.

here is what I found.

stripped down the sight has a sleeve that is pressed in to the base and is keyed to the base on the screw head side.The sleeve does not move in the sight. It acts as the axle for the moving part of the sight. It also has a extended lip on both sides that work with a pin in the "spring caps" (ill show them in a minute).

I didnt get a photo of the spring but it looks like the one in this auction.
marble spring auction

what holds the spring are two parts I will call spring caps. they are both the same but one has a threaded I.D. and one has a hole large enough for the screw to go through. The each have a pin that moves between the raised lips of the steel axle like bushing. These pins and lips along with the O.D. of the spring cap control how far the sight springs up.

you can see the pin at 12:00 and the hole that the end of the spring goes into at about 4:00 ( you need to have the spring anchored at the 4 o'clock position relative to the 12 o'clock pin position on each of the hubs.

my sight was not working because the steel sleeve on this side was buggered and had burrs that caused the spring cap to bind when you tried to put the sight up. a little file work and it works just fine.

As a side, if your sight doesnt come up far enough, file work on stop (9:00 position) of the steel sleeve on this side would let your sight come up more.

lastly are the two outside caps. they kind of act like bearings for the back side of the spring caps. the one on the screw head side is a through hole, the one on the other side is a nut that acts as a lock nut up against the spring cap.

To take the sight apart, first you need to take off the outside cap/locknut on this side of the sight. then you can unscrew the screw from the spring cap with a screwdriver.

to put it back together I put the spring into the hole of the right side springcap and slid that with the outside cap onto the screw.

put that into the sight. make sure the stop pin in the screw cap is between the stops of the bushing in the base.

start the spring cap on the left side on the threads of the screw. make sure the spring end is in the hole of the spring cap.

Then i tightened the screw until it starts to bind on the sight. I flipped the sight all the way back and grabbed the spring cap with a pliers and turned it counter clockwise until it catches on the sight stem. then I tapped it to the right a little, tightened the screw and it drew right into place.

I had to try a couple of times to get the screw set to the right place so that I could put on the lock nut without having the sight get to tight to move.

Continued for stem problems...

For what its worth, Dave has been foolong with this sight for some time with help from others and it still wouldnt work.

Problem was, the stem would go down into the sight very far.

What I found was that it had been taken apart in the past, I knew this because the locking ring was in place upside down.

To take the elevation and locking ring off a marbles, pull the stem and pinch the two tabs at the top together a little. Inside I found dirt and crud that was stopping the stem from going down all the way, alon with the bottom of the tabs pinched a little tight.

Cleaned it out, spread the bottom a little and put the rings back on.

with the rings on you can push the closed tip of a needle nose into the top to spread the tabs out, but not too much or the stem is sloppy.

Now the stem will screw all the way down to the bottom.

Last edited by Rick99; 01/06/16.