By Fireball2

One thing I will say- Knowledge sometimes comes hard, and with bad outcomes. If in ignorance and carelessness a trigger is messed with, disaster is likely and can be fatal. Not worth it if you fall into that category of pilgrim. Don't be stupid, be self-aware.

On the other hand, if a Savage 99 trigger is approached with caution, inquisitiveness, and a desire to fully understand, rather than pursue an agenda, (i.e. "lighten the trigger"), knowledge is there for the gleaning.

In the end, they are a very simple mechanical device so of course they can be understood better and possibly enhanced. The problem is, most people shouldn't touch a trigger, they're just not wired for it. Aptitude matters! Most people have the attention span of a gnat and shouldn't be allowed within two miles of a sack of rubber balls.

Keep in mind that the gun will most certainly outlive the pilgrim therefore all care should be exercised to ensure it's proper function for the next generations of owners. A slamfire can be fatal, and is not to be minimized!

In conclusion, a Savage 99 trigger can be worked on, of course they can, but most people should not because they aren't willing to invest the appropriate amount of care into ensuring it won't get messed up and possibly cause a problem for someone down the road.

It's up to every man to decide for himself what level of care and responsibility he is willing to take. As always, weighing the potential benefit against the level of risk should be at the forefront of your thought process.

I do believe it is wrong to toss blanket statements around like, "Never work on a Savage 99 trigger". That's silly. The reason it's done is, IMO, we all agree most people shouldn't. But they certainly can be.