Originally Posted by dtspoke
...this isn't academic.

For reasons too long to get into here I can pick any rifle any caliber anywhere for under $2500. I know what I'm leaning to but I thought I'd open this up to the brain trust of the campfire to maybe spark something that I haven't considered.

Ok, go.

I did this when I was 15 years old in 1970 LNIB M700 ADL 7 mm Rem Mag with RCBS dies, 80 rds of brass and 2 boxes of bullets . Cost me $125 ,I was sure I got screwed. Put Weaver bases and rings on it with a 2.5x7 Weaver until 1977 when I went to a Redfield Jr 1 pc base and rings holding a brand new Vari X 3 2.5 x 8. $210 more on the $125. Many thousands of bullets and pounds of powder later it needed a new barrel after 42 years. A new Remington take off barrel and install another $150 .So I have not spent $500 on this rifle that will do everything, every time very well and YOU don't need to either to get the job done.
There are still a lot of nice looking good shooting rifles out there for sale for less than $1000, find one, buy it shoot the barrel off it. Spend the extra on better beer and gas for more hunting trips. You asked. Magnum Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "