Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by dtspoke
...this isn't academic.

For reasons too long to get into here I can pick any rifle any caliber anywhere for under $2500. I know what I'm leaning to but I thought I'd open this up to the brain trust of the campfire to maybe spark something that I haven't considered.

Ok, go.

I did this when I was 15 years old in 1970 LNIB M700 ADL 7 mm Rem Mag with RCBS dies, 80 rds of brass and 2 boxes of bullets . Cost me $125 ,I was sure I got screwed. Put Weaver bases and rings on it with a 2.5x7 Weaver until 1977 when I went to a Redfield Jr 1 pc base and rings holding a brand new Vari X 3 2.5 x 8. $210 more on the $125. Many thousands of bullets and pounds of powder later it needed a new barrel after 42 years. A new Remington take off barrel and install another $150 .So I have not spent $500 on this rifle that will do everything, every time very well and YOU don't need to either to get the job done.
There are still a lot of nice looking good shooting rifles out there for sale for less than $1000, find one, buy it shoot the barrel off it. Spend the extra on better beer and gas for more hunting trips. You asked. Magnum Bob

That would be great advice if this was my first purchase. But I've got plenty of run of nice looking, good shooting rifles for less than $1K.

Like I said, the stipulation is a firearm for under $2500.