When I did bodyguard work, I always carried a Hi Power with a S&W 442 as BUG. In the '90's I carried in a Summer Special, but once the Versa Max II was created, I thought that was HUGE step in the right direction; and IMO it still remains one of the best (although I rarely carry in one anymore).

I changed guns, and carried the Hi Power for another 12 years; and I always thought it was comfortable for daily carry if you have a very good carry rig. I carry in a HBE Com III (which is very similar to a Sparks Nexus, but a little nicer). Finally a friend just HAD to have my Hi Power, and I moved to a LW Commander for about 13 years. These days I still carry the LW Commander sometimes, but mostly I carry a CZ P07.

BUT WAIT...

I recently scored what has always been unobtanium... A Lightweight Hi Power. And I have to say, the Lightweight Hi Power is the best, most comfortable full sized carry gun I've ever worn. The one I got was a former Belgian Detective gun, so it has been carried a lot, and used very little. I have plans on building it into my ultimate carry gun, and that will likely be the gun I wear until I slip into the grave.

Why do I like the Hi Power?

Well in factory, out of the box form, I’ll say it’s not all that impressive. Trigger sucks for a single action pistol, I hate the stock ambi-safety, and Browning factory grips do their best to ruin the ergonomics on probably the most ergonomic pistol ever built.

I remove the magazine safety and carefully tune the trigger. I add Spegel grips (the single most amazing change you’ll ever make to a Hi Power), Novak sights and I’ll hard chrome this one because I’ve never had a better finish on a carry pistol than hard chrome.