Originally Posted by JOG
In much of humanity's opinion the Brown Hi-Power is the best combat 9mm pistol ever devised. The objective complaints are the price and weight. The Hi-Power is going to cost more than a polymer pistol squirted out at the factory and that counts for something. If I know in the morning I'll be crawling around under a truck I'll pick a different pistol to drag around on the asphalt. At around 32 oz. the Hi-Power is heavy for a 9mm. I'm not small, so while the weight is noticeable when donning the pistol, in a good holster it fades to background after a few minutes. The weight is also one of the factors that make a Hi-Power easier for many people to shoot well. The Hi-Power is flat and very comfortable on the hip, but the weight warrants a good holster and appropriate belt, which adds even more to the price.

Lots of shooters find the sights on 'modern' Hi-Powers acceptable, but I always change them on carry pistols. That's not necessarily a knock on the pistol because I change them on almost every pistol I carry.

The Hi-Power's balance and feel are unsurpassed and make it a bullet hose at the range. In my opinion choosing something else is the choice of a lesser pistol for less cost and less weight, but I often make that choice myself. However, the Hi-Power definitely gets its turn in my rotation.

You're making me want to dig mine out of the safe and shoot/carry it some. They do feel great in the hand, carry nicely, and shoot real well.