Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I guess, though, that a lot of cops are handicapped by their equipment.

No, they aren't. They are handicapped because they think, like many, that a change in hardware will solve what is actually a software deficit. Any modern, quality handgun will shoot more than well enough to win a gunfight as long as the shooter will stop reading gun magazines, worrying about trigger reset and bore axis, etc...and just shoot.

More words of wisdom. Train to fight and win with whatever you have. The gun is almost irrelevant. Probably not the most popular thing to say on a gun forum, though.
Bob

Agreed, for ordinary combat distances, most commonly used service handguns are more than adequate to the task. No need for a target gun in the vast majority of cases. That's not to say that a more accurate gun doesn't provide a certain addition to one's comfort level.

I remember an early period after switching from a 1911 to a Kahr P9, I was at the outdoor shooting club to which I belong. I'm of the habit of going when there's the highest likelihood that I will have the whole place to myself (we each get the combination to the front gate). Anyway, I was shooting rifle this day, and there was one other guy there, someone I didn't know. He was shooting a Beretta Storm 9mm carbine. Anyway, while I was down range checking my target (an area with almost zero cover potential, and no escape route apart from the direction of the benches), he hung back. I remember the thought occurring to me that if this guy suddenly went homicidal (Yes, to paraphrase General Mattis, I'm always devising a plan to kill everyone I meet, LOL), I'd sure have had a lot more confidence if I had my 1911 on (with its more precise trigger break and longer sight radius) as opposed to my Kahr P9.