Originally Posted by bwinters
Interesting thread. I'm surprised the low volume of offhand shooting. It looks like a geography thing. If you don't shoot offhand in the east, your not getting many deer or bears - at least in the states I've hunted in. I think it's also a bit hunting style specific. I do alot of still hunting so shot opportunities appear quick and don't last long. My favorite shooting position is seated. Shot an 8 pt Monday from a stand but was sitting. Dead deer. I've shot several elk from seated in the past couple years. Probably shot the other half offhand in the timber. Shot most of my turkeys from seated. Typing this out, I didn't realize how many animals I've shot from seated.

Mr. Winters et. al.

Before 2012 most of my hunting was on deer leases so...standing hunting.

Since 2012 I'm not using ANY stands nor feeders. I have sole hunting privileges on private family land.
I either stalk OR still hunt and many times it's a combination of both.

I've made a couple or so off hand running shots but most are OFF shooting sticks.
My older Stoney Points are 2 legged and each has 3 segments. They adjust from sitting to standing. They're too tall for
prone, which I have very few opportunities.

I have had ample time to use the sticks when hunting even in cover.
More than a few Xs I've still hunted up on deer that didn't know I was in the State.

This year alone I shot 2 deer in the neck off the sticks.
1 was @ 135-140 yds. The other was 175-180 yds. I use my LRF after the shot.
Sometimes I can't be exact but just close on the distance.

I'd never attempt those shots off hand. Both were 1 shot DRT (drop right there).

I don't go hunting w/o my Stoney Points.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!