Originally Posted by GunGeek
...I've seen some nasty wounds, and some guys in a good deal of pain, but every last one of them could have got up and resumed the fight had they wanted to.

Not trying to start an argument, but my observations have been different.

I have investigated three homicides and one self-defense fatal shooting where a 12ga with birdshot was used. One victim was shot in the belly from about 10' and was DRT. Another was shot in the neck from ~ 15' and bled out within ten feet of where he was shot. The third homicide was a 16 year old boy who caught a load of #6 shot in the chest from roughly 7 yards. He died in my arms before medics could get there.
The intruder in the self defense shooting caught a load of #8's in the chest at about 4' and the shot column stopped at the chest wall on the other side of his body. He didn't get very far, either. Pretty much straight down.

It can happen. I've seen several handgun body shot deaths, too, including one from a .39 Special wadcutter out of Charter Arms snub nose from over 75 yards. One shot,center-punched him. DRT.
On the other hand I've seen some folks "shot to doll rags" with handguns and lived to talk about it.

Also, keep in mind that where JJ has had to deal with these situations, hygiene is not a priority, and medics are even father away than the cops. You don't want to get shot with anything. Much like the Old West where people feared even a .22 Short.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell