Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
A short barrel will not spin up a bullet enough for stability. Some guns have a gain twist like the .460 S&W so to cut it down approaches a smooth bore. I will never go too short. But I don't carry and stick a gun into a BG. I hunt deer. My best is a 10-1/2' Ruger SBH. My BFR's in .475 and JRH are 7-1/2" and the 45-70 is 10".

Twist rate is not affected by barrel length. All revolvers have enough twist for normal blunt bullets that are commonly used.

I had the same discussion with a guy on another forum regarding short barrels and velocity, and his ability to grasp the concept was as elusive as bfr's. He couldn't grasp that bullet spin is a simple formula based on twist rate and velocity.

Yes, a shorter barrel will give up some velocity, typically 25-30 fps/inch. And consequently the bullet will be spinning slightly slower. But if a given bullet length and barrel twist requires say 1000 fps to stabilize, whether you have a 4" barrel and 1200 fps or a 6" barrel and 1250 fps, the bullet will stabilize.

That is too close to argue about and I won't. But the big bores will lose a lot more velocity since more slow powder is used. Cases are larger and are not a .38. let us look at it, 1200 FPS has a spin of 16 " with a .357. It will be 54,000 RPM's. Now the same at 1250 FPS will be 56, 250 RPMS. Not that much.
It is the larger loss of velocity with the big bores and powders that you must look at. The .454 with a short barrel is no better then a .45 Colt. The .454 must burn powder. the 1 in 24" twist means all you can stuff in it.

No the big bores do not loose more velocity because of the powder used. The 454 Super Redhawk with a barrel of about 2” will produce about 1400 FPS velocity with 300 grain factory loads. That’s is still moving very well.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first