Kentucky has been a open carry state for as far back as I can remember and long before our CCDW permit became legal. Very seldom have I ever seen a private citizen open carry in more populated urban areas but have and occasionally still do out around small rural communities. As a personal opinion it seems to me that in any actual serious armed robbery, car jacking, kidnapping, or crazed shooter situation anyone open carrying a firearm would probably be who bad guy(s) would want to disarm and/or eliminate first. Although I had a KY CCDW permit I regularly open carried a handgun as a requirement of a job I had for a few years where I handled and transported large amounts of cash openly in public all by myself. While open carry might've been enough to deter some impulsive spur-of-the-moment robbery attempt I also knew and accepted that if anyone wanted to accomplish their goal bad enough what ever that goal was and didn't want to risk being identified and/or shot at themselves they could've taken me out at anytime before I could ever make use of my gun.