Before the retention holsters were well developed and put into service and an emphasis placed on retention training about 20% of police officers that were shot, were shot with their own gun. I had a tussle with a great big drunk sumbuck one night and while grappling with him my 4" 686 .357 service revolver fell out of my thumb break duty holster and landed within inches of the guys right hand. I was on the dudes back stuck to him like a tick trying to get some advantage, he was now on his hands and knees when the gun crashed onto the bar's floor right in front of his right hand. He saw it and I could feel the guy tense and bunch up, I knew I was in real trouble right then. I had a S&W M38 Airweight snubby in an ankle holster. I told the guy in a steady voice if he reached for that gun I would kill him. Who knows which one of us would have won a fast draw contest but I guess that sobered the old boy up some as he lifted his hand up and away and said, "No, I'm done." Carrying a weapon isn't a game and can get very real very fast.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.