Sir,

I used to post much more in forums in regards to reloading/shooting etc. Kinda got tired of the arguments. I've reloaded for something like 82 different chamberings IIRC. From 17 Ackley Hornet to 458 Lott, and have had rifles/pistols, sometimes multiples for each and every one. I no longer weight sort brass, trim to length, uniform primer pockets/flash holes. I even shoot factory loads when they are given to me free. When I do load development (and I don't do as much as I've done that for 25 years or so and have developed a number of "go to" loads pretty much across the spectrum of the chamberings I shoot) I may try four different primers on a load, three to 5 load densities, three to five bullets etc. I shoot all over a chrony and usually 5 shot groups.

To give an idea, same bullet, same load density trickled to 1/10th of a grain, same COAL, six different primers.

[Linked Image]

These groups were shot about 5 minutes apart and no cleaning the barrel between first shot and last. Another of my pet peaves, I think most folks over-clean. I figure a guy out to get at least 75 shots out of a hunting gun before accuracy even begins to degrade. I get a kick out of watching guys come out to the range, fire three shots and clean, then fire three or 5 shots and clean. Then they get pissed cause they cant get their rifle to group the way they expect. IMHO, its takes a number or rounds to "foul in" a barrel.

However, once I've chosen a load based on the accracy/velocity quotient, I will zero at 100 or 200 yds.

As I rarely get more than one shot where I hunt, I'm much more concerned about the POI, first shot out of a cold barrrel.

I've not read O'Connor, but I've long postulated that a better test of a hunting rifle in regards to accuracy, would be to go on five different days and shoot one shot at the same target, and same distance using different rests.

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

as to stock styles, I'm a rifle slut, not particulary recoil sensitive and do all my practicing with my rifle set up in a lead sled with 40 lbs of weights so as to not develop a flinch. I've not done a subjective test on a rifle of similar weight and same caliber but with different stock styles so I can not answer that question.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/29/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.