Here is a general question I’m throwing out to all across the prairies of the U.S.A. Where I live we mostly shoot sage rats 🐀 that are scientifically called “Belding Squirrels”. They are typically smaller than a true prairie dog, unless they are pregnant. A 17hmr is plenty of power to send a 10oz varmint flying 4-6 ft in the air if hit right. I have a couple of 17 hmr’s that I’ve put several thousands of rounds thru and an Ruger 77/17 in 17 wsm. I bought the Ruger new last year when the word went out that Ruger would discontinue its line of 77/17 rifles. Ruger a few months back changed their mind and for now will keep making it...I’ve found the differences between the 17 hmr and 17 wsm to be slight but still exciting with the 17 wsm providing 200 yard plus shots consistently where my hmr will top out around 160 yards....The ammo for a wsm is about the same as an hmr but the upside is with distance gained and more explosive results at hmr ranges. Here’s my question. Why hasn’t more rifle mfg’s made a 17 wsm? Ruger as usual is pretty proud of their rifle reflected by the price. Winchester makes a single shot which is boring to me since it’s a rimfire. Savage has a couple rifles but strange mechanics with the bolt design and lastly Volquartsen makes a few semi models “ I also own one with a McMillan stock” super accurate but heavy as hell making it feel like a bench gun. I assume I’am going to hear comments that some of you don’t have much experience with either the 17 hmr or wsm because where you live a centerfire round is more desirable due to size and shot distances. Please help save the 17 wsm. It’s a solid killer for 1-200 yards. Then after you clean up the close dogs with cheap ammo you can bust out the fun centerfire rifles.

Last edited by Beaver10; 01/05/18.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”