Beaver10: I shot Ground Squirrels a "lot" last year. I am adding up the calibers and did them in with at least 5 different rimfire calibers (17 Mach2, 17 HMR, 17 WSM, 22 L.R. and 22 Magnum) along with at least 12 different centerfire calibers (from 17 Fireball, 17 Hornet and 17 Remington on up through 220 Swift and 243 Winchester!).
Sadly I did NOT choose to use any of my 222 Remington Rifles this year - but I did use one of my 221 Remington Fireball Rifles, some of my 223 Remingtons and one of my 222 Remington Magnum Varminters!
As far as "faithfuls" (or favorites?) I would go with the 17 Mach2 in the rimfire category and the 17 Remington Fireball in the centerfire category.
The 17 Hornet I shot some Gophers with this year was not mine but that of a visiting friend from Iowa.
It was a Ruger 77/17 Hornet in the Varmint/Target configuration - that indeed was a Ground Squirrel killing machine with its Weaver 4 to 16 power variable scope on it!
I hope to have my own Ruger 77/17 Hornet "online" by spring.
Yeah I am looking forward to this coming years Ground Squirrel season!
Somebody has been "Hunting" Ground Squirrels in my back yard, as of yesterday - it was a Badger (I am sure!) that dug up a hibernating Ground Squirrel and made a mess of fresh dirt on top of the snow there.
I haven't seen much Badger activity of late (I am not sure if they hibernate or not?) but its been VERY warm the last two days and this "enlarged" Ground Squirrel hole is proof pretty positive that a Badger has been "Hunting" them.
Come on spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy