Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
I just like to catch fish too. It doesn't matter to me how I catch mine or how you catch yours, as long as it's legal. Yes, I keep some too. I just fear this uppity attitude in both hunting in fishing will lead to the ultimate despise of the sports we know and love. I mean didn't we all start fishing with a hand me down rod, a bobber, can of worms, and a farm pond full of sunfish?

We did and it still brings a smile to my face. I have found Tenkara to actually be much closer to that than fly fishing. Fly fishing in streams for trout is my favorite fishing. That being said, I love fishing with all sorts of gear for all sorts of fish and routinely do.

Fly fishing became elitist largerly post "the movie" when a certain type of people took it up. I recall being openly scorned by two of the sort because I was catching trout on nymphs and they failed with dries. Would I rather fish dry flies? Sure, but I sure enjoy the challenge of nymphing and even the strike when swinging some no-hackles.

I taught myself the basics of fly fishing on a sod farm irrigation pond in south Chicago circa 1973. I've been learning ever since. I usually keep some stocker trout (and I'm often the guy helping float stock) every year as they won't make it through the summer in our local streams. There's room for all of us.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated