Originally Posted by troutfly

LOL, the Pistol Pete was/is one of my favourite flies to fish on the Bow River when the elitist crowd was out and about. Wanna really freak them out? Cast that fly on a high end rod LOL.Priceless reactions!
I only fly fish, not because it is the only method to catch fish, I just have too much fun with it. You wanna toss a worm near by me, I'll probably tie on a San Juan Worm or maybe a Pistol Pete.
It is all about the fun isn't it????

I love small streams, there are a couple tiny ones near me that hold trout. A couple or so years ago, I picked up a Pieroway 7 foot 3 wt that I paired with a Hardy Ultra Light reel.
Kind of fancy rig but the price was right. Have always loved shorter rods on small streams although, I have this one St Croix 9 foot 6wt with an Orvis Battenkill reel that was my favourite small creek setup.

Yep totally agree. I probably fly fish about 85% of the time because I like catching fish on the fly to include catfish and carp. But I am no purist, I just like to catch fish and if spinning or bait cast will get it done I'll do it. Haven't tried bow fishing but have given it a bit of thought. I typically change to a spinning/bubble outfit when trout are just out of fly casting range and rising.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.