It's a pleasure to read posts from someone who is both erudite and articulate,; your analysis of the Quebec situation is largely correct with one or two exceptions. The actual surrender of "Nouvelle France" was not in 1759, it was when the Marquis de Vaudreille signed the capitulation at Montreal, Sept. 8, 1760, ending the long and very productive French colonization and exploration in what is now Canada. We won, but, the French ARE a founding people here and I greatly repect loyal Franco-phone Canadians.

The French have and do influence continental North American politics due to their never-ending interference in Canadian internal affairs concerning Quebec; this, in turn, has ramifications throughout the continent as the threat of separation DOES influence major business decisions such as the removal of corporate headquarters and even Canadian military deployments.

An example here is the re-positioning of the former Canadian Airborne Regiment at Petawawa, Ont. in the late '70s. They were moved from Edmonton, AB. in order to possibly deal with an insurrection in P.Q. as this was at a time of extreme political unrest there due to Rene Levesque and other B.Q. traitors. I knew quite a few CanForce guys at the time and this was common gossip among the active-duty guys....who WANTED to kick some separatiste azz. This regiment was later disbanded by Prime Minister Chretien due to his hatred of anything that was "Anglais"; the excuse for doing so was some drivel about whacking some thieves on the Somalia mission, typical political BS.

I think that the Quebec situation will be resolved by mid-century as Canadians come to see the advantages of national unity more clearly and reject any form of special treatment for ethnic minorities or cultural groups. While some Quebecers may entertain fantasies about a French "nation" in North America and the Froggies may continue to tacitly support this, WE Canadians WILL prevent any attempts to breakup our country by ANY means necessary, including military action.

A number of my ancestors, including Captain Hughes, a forbearer of Canada;s WWI Minister of Militia, Major-General Sir Sam Hughes, who was my Great-Grandmother's first cousin, fought on The Plains of Abraham, another was an officer with the 78th Fraser Highlanders. Canadians like me have NO bloody intention of seeing OUR nation disintegrate and, as our first PM, Sir John Alexander MacDonald, said about the traitor Francophone Louis Riel, "Riel wants a fight and, by God, we are going to give it to him"....WE WON then, AGAIN and, by God, WE will give them a fight and win this time, too!!!!

Canada for Canadians, keep the faith with Britain, the USA, Australia and New Zealand, our TRUE friends and allies!