Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Jordan, how is cheek weld on the Barrett and the 7wsm? Looks like you could throw a cat under the objective end?

Cheek weld on the 7WSM is great. The Barrett is more of a mid-chin weld, but is usable. I've since added a stock pack/cheek riser to the Barrett and cheek weld is improved. I was hoping to get away without the stock pack, but no such luck. I'll take the added weight for the extra optical system integrity.

That was my next question , especially the Barrett. I was wondering if you'd tried a stock pack or cheek riser of some flavor. Talley lows are perfect for me as far as fit, and snap shooting, bringing the rifle to the shoulder quick on jumped game. Have extra lows on my 223, and bolt clears ocular, objective clears barrel with a vari-xII 3-9 but the stock hits way high cheek. Talley Lows are perfection, for me. My montana's aren't relegated to long range shooting though, so max elevation adjustment is of little concern. For that matter, I've never thrown my rifle like a frisbee, ran over it with a tractor, used it as a club, dropped it off a cliff or out the window of a Jeep, so obsessing over nuclear hardened scope mounting has never been a huge concern either. My talley's split/crack I'll buy another set to replace them. Don't tell anybody, but two of the deer presently in my freezer fell to 140gr Sierra gamekings out of my 10 year olds 7-08 and the third fell to a 240gr Hornady xtp out of a front stuffer.

I hear you. Difference strokes for different folks, but I've spent enough time and ammo chasing rifle problems, only to find out they were scope/mount problems, that these days I want all my rifles wearing scopes and mounting systems that are as bullet-proof as possible. Less worry and messing around, is what I'm after.