Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I am going to mount a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 on my Kimber Montana. I've been debating with myself whether I should use Talley Lightweights or go with a Picatinny rail and rings. The whole purpose of the NF is to eliminate any possible scope issues ,so I'm leaning toward a good rail and ring set up. How it looks is way down on the list but I don't mind cutting down on unnecessary weight or bulk if I'm not sacrificing dependability. I've not used a lot of rail and rings before so I would appreciate some suggestions of what would be best.

Right now I'm thinking of ordering either the Nightforce or Talley picatinny rail and some Nightforce light weight rings. I would go with the Burris extreme tactical signature rings but I was concerned that the extra width might limit my mounting adjustment on the short action.

Right now I use Talley lightweights with a 1" scope in mediums because the height of the mediums align with my eye better than the lows. I'm willing to consider any other ring options though if there is something better ,or that will fit the set up better.

Yes,I know it will add considerable weight to the Montana but I'm tired of wondering if I'm having scope problems or something else. I've been chasing my tail with this rifle,sometimes shooting one hole groups and sometimes 3" groups,and sometimes one hole groups to different POI without a scope adjustment or ammo change on the same day. Formidilosus has been generous enough to loan me a NF NXS to try the reticle and see how I like it on this rifle. If I like it,I'll order one. At least I'll know if I'm having some other issues other than scope and mounts. If the NF doesn't get me sorted out,I'm either going to rebarrel the Montana or get a Fieldcraft but I think I'm done with light weight unreliable scopes.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on mounts,and even pictures of your set up if you have something similar to what I am wanting.

Talley LW all the way. That how I mounted my SHV (virtually identical in size and weight to your jealously-inducing NXS) on my 7 WSM Montana. Works great. Don't overthink this. smile

FWIW, I'm also using Talley LW's to mount the SHV on my faux Xtreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM. Both rifle shoot itty-bitty groups and the zero holds tight.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!