Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by kellory
FreeMe and cooper57m, you are both correct.

I stated that in this particular event, there would have been time to load. It is not what I would have done, but it could have been done, due to the wall acting as concealment (not cover). I said this was a bad example of why it had to be ready to fire at the instant. (It could not have been used instantly.) By the time you could get to a vantage point and able to find your target, there was plenty of time to insert a mag and rack a round. (Again, not my method).

If he had entered the church first, the responder would be a dead man.

Now, I'm done arguing with someone who can't understand timing. I can run a split second shot clock for a radio station and make it sound natural, (dead air is a career killer). You have to think ahead, and muscle memory plays a big role. But you can't do things in the wrong sequence, or it is completely wrong. Timing matters.

In this particular event, there was time to load, without effecting the outcome.

Instead of loading your gun, that should have been loaded to begin with one should use that time to access the situation.

Agreed, there are better uses of that time, but the church shooting was put forward as an example of why all guns should loaded and ready for instant use. But, as you will see in my FIRST post on this subject, in this particular case. It would have made little difference, due to how the attack unfurled.
"The fact that you think you know ahead of time when you need to load your pistol and when you don’t Is ridiculous. The people sitting in church in a good part of town though they were safe also, yet a shooter walked in and slaughtered many of them. When the shooting starts I want to shoot back immediately, not need to load.
I would agree with you in concept, but that particular example
does not work. The first shots came blind through the side of the church. By the time he came inside, it wouldn't have made any diffrence if the bullets were loose in your pockets. Those folks were sitting ducks."

There are many better examples of the need to be ready, not almost ready. However, the church shooting was not a good example. It would have made little diffrence to the outcome ,loaded, or unloaded.

No one knows anything ahead of time, that’s why prepaid for the worst and hope for the best.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first