Each of our Model 71s is a law unto itself as to accuracy and pressure. With the Hornady -Hawk 200 grs and Hawk 180s IMR-4895 and 4064
produced the best results. Dave Scovill in Handloader tried RL-15 and RL-19. Keep in mind that if you are using almost 60 grs of 4350 to produce the same velocity that
IMR 4895, 4320 or 4064 does with 51-53 grs for the 200 grain bullets-maybe time to re-think or experiment.

For the 250 gr bullets, powder selection is more critical to obtain optimum velocity. With Alaska Bullet Works, Barnes, and Hawk 250s-4350 has been consistent.
Some have tried the mid-range powders but most return to 4350 as the consistent standby. Tends to discourage bullet shift with full caseloads of powder.
The Lee factory crimp die really helps.

I have had interesting results with the Hawk-Barnes-North Fork bullets in 220-230 weight range. I personally think this is the best all-round weight for
the standard 348 WCF cartridge. A bit of extra weight but not too much. IMR 4895 and 4064 do well with these weights.
North Fork puts out a tough bonded core bullet at 230 grs. I have some and they work well with a little less powder, producing velocity in the 2375 FPS range.

Another factor to consider is barrel length. If you have a Browning or original Winchester carbine barrel of 20 inches, think the faster mid-range powders to
fully push the bullet under short barrel limitations. That being said, the Model 71s are lever actions and pressure needs to remain close to factory levels.

Last edited by 450Fuller; 01/22/18.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....