I don't know about it being a myth. In my experience, especially on shots within 100 yards with my 270 and 130gr bt....it really needs to hit something substantial, behind the shoulder shots have never left squat for a blood trail and exit holes the size of the entry holes. If I'm not mistaken, nosler suggests to not load any ballistic tips over 3000fps. Maybe they do better past 100 or so yards on soft tissue. I always shoot for shoulder with a bt. I almost left a nice 8pt out in the woods that I shot while he was chasing a doe, due to him running, i shot him little further back than i normally would, bullet went in exactly where you would want a well placed arrow to go, took me 45 minutes to find him after he went out of sight, great shot...just no blood and small exit. I was coming to the conclusion that I missed. Son shot a doe behind the shoulder with his 708 and a 120bt this season, same thing. No blood. I lucked up and found her the next morning in some brush about 125 yards away. Is almost as if you are going to shoot them with a bt with a lung shot, you better hope you watch them fall before they get out of sight. It will kill a whitetail all day long, its just become a recovery issue. Just my experience, if you are a lung shooter I believe a soft point is a better choice, especially at closer rangers. BT is a great bullet as long as you do your part. Its my go-to hunting bullet over hear in Ga. I also think they are more forgiving that other bullets on marginal shots, which can happen due to whatever factors.

Last edited by killerv; 02/07/18.