Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by FatOldMIHunter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
We all know your gonna stick with what you got in Rifles/glass... and ultimately fail due to constraints that have nothing to do with “picking a bullet”.

If it turns out that my rifles/optics are inadequate, I'll either upgrade or reduce my range. I don't have a problem with that. But hunting is my hobby, not building rifles. In all likelihood, 400 yds will be my maximum range, but if I do what I can to shoot well out beyond that, I'll have more confidence when I shoot game at that.

No no no! You aren't doing it right! And your decisions, because they aren't the right ones, are only worthy of scorn! What are the right ones? Well, they're what we say they are! Never mind that Elmer Keith popped an animal at 600 with an open sighted revolver in 44, or that to 600 max, all problems are easily solved with shyte scopes, factory crap guns with the wrong twists, and bullets with half-way decent BC. The only mysteries left to be solved after whether your bullets are pointy is how well you can sight-allign, breathe, and squeeze. There's no tricks to 600 across flat-ish terrain. Plastic $300 rifles with $100 glass loaded with scrounged range brass will do it, and do it well enough to kill deer. Just pick pointy bullets.

Haven't killed much at 600 have ya??? Especially with any wind over 3mph. If you had you wouldn't have made those comments, I would enjoy seeing the consistent $100 600 yd scope.

No, I haven't killed much at 600. But that's not the point. This isn't a pissing contest. I've shot lots at 600 and beyond. One of the scopes I use is Nikon Buckmaster 2 4-12x40, which is perfectly adequate for 600 yd shots. I know. Do you? Put away your dick. I also hunt in places where my long shots involve cross-canyon shooting, which is completely different than shooting across flatish ground when it comes to wind reading. Again, put away your dick. I don't want to see it and I don't care how far you, or your buddies, can piss.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.