Originally Posted by Dogshooter
When you throw “600 yard hunting” in there... it changes my answer a little.

We shoot a lot out to the ranges you mentioned... 700-900... but most of our shooting and “practice” is inside 600. Almost all the rifles we shoot wear 3-9s, all Leupolds and SWFAs. I feel 3-9s are in no way handicapped when we’re talking 1.5-3 MOA targets, hell, a lot of dudes here make those kinda hits with 6x’s.

Our 12” round gong at 600 yards is known as the “Plate of Humble Pie”, that’s right at 2 MOA size, and it really is bigger than a deer’s “vital area”. It can be awefully easy to miss.... but that’s not a magnification issue. 9x/10x top end is more than enough, to make good holds on those size targets, in hunting situations out past 600. Plus, the field of view is still adequate enough to allow you to see impacts and spot your own shots. I killed a deer this year at 550+, using an SS 3-9.... it was no issue at all... and I got to watch that deer pile-up in the glass... shooting an 8lb 7 Mag.

Seems like the whole “I wanna shoot to 1k, and hunt to 600” mantra is pretty common these days. For that... I really see only a couple options in optics.

SWFA: Fixed 6x or 10x, whichever terrain allows. OR... 3-9 HD, which is my personal favorite scope.
Bushy: 3-12 LRHS..... or new LRHSi
NF: 3-10 or 4-14 SHV.... or drop the dough and go 3-15 NXS.

I’ve owned and shot all the above, suffice the SHVs, and my vote goes to the the 3-9 SWFA. If I felt I needed more X’s, I’d go LRHS.

I have a caldwell 10" Steel Gong setup that I bought a couple years ago to shoot long at. You tell yourself that 10" shouldnt be no issue at all, but to date, once you get that thing out past 450-500 yards - even with very little wind - as dog shooter says - it can be very humbling.

With that being said, on other rifles I have owned as well as friends rifles, that were taken out long range - I personally seem to do better with a little more magnification - not a lot but something in the 12x-15x has treated me well. I respect those that can bang steel out there consistently wth a 6x or 3-9x.

Last edited by Hiaring8; 02/18/18.