Originally Posted by Sheister
I see the recommendations for 6x, 10x, 3x9, 3.5 x10 etc... on this thread for scopes for shots to 600 yards and beyond and I guess I'm a bit puzzled. This being the long range forum and all, I'm a bit surprised I'm not seeing recommendations for scopes in the 6.5 x 20, 6 x24, 5 x 25, etc... range for those long range shots. I've never been of the opinion you could "overscope' a rifle unless you really tried and for long range I've done fine with my 3x9 and 4.5 x 14 scopes, but for varmints I always like to have as much magnification as my rifle and carrying arm will handle- something in the 6.5 x 20 Leupold or 6 x24 B&L Elite series work best for me at the moment. I like to see what I am shooting at as well as possible and sometimes I Iike to see what I'm NOT shooting at, like small branches and things like that in the bullet patch you may not see otherwise. Also, sometimes you have a pretty narrow window to shoot through at the game moving or feeding in the trees or brush or among other animals and a little extra power can help pick through those instances. These seem to happen to me more often these days and a little extra scope power is sometimes a real blessing when it does.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Give me a minute to get my Nomex underwear on.... wink

Bob

Bob,

I don't think the OP, Dogger, ever responded regarding distances and target sizes. RMerta said deer vitals out to 600, and steel to 800 - 900. A 3-9x MQ handles that.

If you're shooting varmints, I'm guessing that the cartridge and/or weight of the rifle help keep recoil low. And if you have a solid rest, like a field bench, then a narrow FOV may not matter. However, shooting a heavier recoiling rifle from some contorted field position with a narrow FOV can make spotting your hits, or misses, difficult no matter how well you build your firing position. Here, a fixed 6x is not a handicap on big game vital sized targets, at medium range. In fact it can be an advantage. No big deal to dial down a high power variable either.

It's been said before. Many people are quick to over-scope themselves. That is why asked about distances and target sizes in my post on the first page. Unless you're shooting small targets, or have some vision problems, you can get by with a lot less magnification than some people assume.

Someone did a survey of various longrange & PRS shooters, and from what I recall, 12x was found to be the top end for many. Their scopes could go higher, but in general they used lower magnification in order spot their shots. Also interesting to see more shooters going from .308 to 6.5mm Creedmooor, and to 6mm Creedmoor. There are certainly advantages in external ballistics going from .308 to 6.5mm Creedmoor, but going from 6.5mm to 6mm is mostly about lower recoil... and spotting shots.

That is my experience. Distances, target size, recoil levels, and expectations, all factor into the equation and will vary from one shooter to another.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/24/18.