I see the recommendations for 6x, 10x, 3x9, 3.5 x10 etc... on this thread for scopes for shots to 600 yards and beyond and I guess I'm a bit puzzled. This being the long range forum and all, I'm a bit surprised I'm not seeing recommendations for scopes in the 6.5 x 20, 6 x24, 5 x 25, etc... range for those long range shots. I've never been of the opinion you could "overscope' a rifle unless you really tried and for long range I've done fine with my 3x9 and 4.5 x 14 scopes, but for varmints I always like to have as much magnification as my rifle and carrying arm will handle- something in the 6.5 x 20 Leupold or 6 x24 B&L Elite series work best for me at the moment. I like to see what I am shooting at as well as possible and sometimes I Iike to see what I'm NOT shooting at, like small branches and things like that in the bullet patch you may not see otherwise. Also, sometimes you have a pretty narrow window to shoot through at the game moving or feeding in the trees or brush or among other animals and a little extra power can help pick through those instances. These seem to happen to me more often these days and a little extra scope power is sometimes a real blessing when it does.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Give me a minute to get my Nomex underwear on.... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.