Originally Posted by Seafire
you shouldn't be relying on a chrony for telling you what your max loads should be...

all it is, is a radar unit so to speak...

once you reach a max load, all it does it tell you what the Velocity is of your max load...

doing otherwise, is a good way to blow up a rifle action.. and potentially hurt yourself.

I'm not sure I completely agree with that. I believe powders are designed to work within certain pressure parameters and when one goes above or below those parameters is when trouble rears it's ugly head.

A prime example would be working with something like one of the 4350's or other slower powders. Go too low and you get a problem with S.E.E., P.E.P, or DDT, pick whichever one you want, that all mean the same. KABOOM! As you increase the powder charge velocity also increases generally in a linear fashion. The mean might be 50 FPS with a plus or minus 10 FPO variance. As one reaches the max load for that individual rifle velocity might make a big jump in speed, no change from the previous load and even have a drop in speed. Checks with pressure ring expansion, case head expansion and even the primer which is usually considered useless as a pressure indicator unless it flat falls out will help determine if max has been reached. Probably have some sign of sticky bolt lift as well.

The point is, while the system isn't perfect, it is at least one way to help keep out of trouble. I've been using it a lot lately while playing with a couple of 7x57s. Loads that are no problem in a Ruger #1 and M70 FWT are way too high for a custom Mauser I have. Depending on the powder used, charges just one or two grains over the minimum load will lock up the bolt or show weird velocity changes. Still trying to figure that one out.
Paul B.
PS: I didn't say the system was perfect, just a help.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE