When the OP asked about the effectiveness of the 264 mag on elk it means a "6.5 bullet" at a certain velocity delivered to the elk. Regardless of the brass case behind the bullet. Since various 6.5's using a bullet like the Barnes 6.5 120gr TSX has proven to be effective on elk it seems reasonable to assume that out of a 264 it will fly faster & flatter. I see this as pertinent information... Every one who contributes bits of info on the 6.5 bullets at any velocity gives a better understanding to the OP of the 6.5's capability. I have taken a fair amount of elk myself & observed many taken by others with various cal's. The 6.5 whether it be a 260 Rem or a 264 mag has proven to be very capable. They will put an elk down & dead just as fast as any other cartridge with a tough deep penetrating bullet like the Barnes TSX properly placed. I have seen elk struck multiple times with large cal's & heavy bullets improperly place which finally put the elk on the ground & then required a finishing shot. Shot placement is important no matter what cartridge you use.