We are grieving the loss of Ruby, our wirehaired dachshund today. She exited the yard yesterday evening in the blink of an eye, the gate was open for just a few minutes and she took advantage of it. She left about 6:30 PM and I/we were out calling and looking for her until after 10:00 PM. I was up late making posters/leaflets to get out to neighbors and close-by businesses this morning when we received a call from local animal services . . . they had found her by reading her chip. Unfortunately she had been hit by a car and was gone. They found her about 3 or 4 blocks from our home. We are devastated. We picked her up at the shelter and took her to our vet to handle the cremation (we have done that for our lost dogs since 2002).

We got her just over 5 years ago and soon found out she had liver problems. She became almost comatose overnight one weekend. Our vet was able to get her on the road to recovery and she was limited to a low protein diet. She seemed to thrive after that and was able to put on weight and function normally except for the diet.

I will miss her more than I would miss probably 95%+ of any humans I know. Does that make me a bad person? SHE was my "baby girl". She greeted me every time I entered the house and tried to lick the skin off my face and the wax out of my ears. We have four others in the pack and they are special, too. But SHE was my "baby girl", I tear up just thinking of her running across the yard to me, of her running figure eights in the yard with the other members of her pack, of her greeting me when I come inside. I know I will see her again at the rainbow bridge, but damn it is hard right now!

Ruby 10/12/2012 - 3/23/2018 RIP, Baby Girl

[Linked Image]

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member