Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
love seeing all the comments from people who don't seem to know what the hell they are talking about. in the west, in public lands states with some common sense you can generally tell whats private and what isn't based on the terrain and looking at the land.

I could take you to property boundaries around here where there is nothing to denote private/public land. Sure there are places where it is obvious. And there are places where it appears obvious, but isn't. And it goes both ways. Lots of land appears private but isn't. And I'm born, raised, and lived my whole life in public lands states.

Like Chet wrote earlier it amazes me all the "conservative" folks on here that think private land owners should be forced to mark their property to keep folks off.
Idaho is a patchwork of private and public land. Fences don't count because there are lots of fences on public ground for grazing allotments. There are small patches of odd shaped private land in some very peculiar places with no way whatever to sort them out. I don't know the history of how many of them got to be private. Some might be old defunct mining claims or maybe line camps.

cumminscowboy,

In the picture below, please tell me where the public/private boundary on that sagebrush land outside my backyard is.. Without a fence or signage my common sense is failing me:

[Linked Image]

Ralphie, yes some of us do expect a landowner to mark their property in undeveloped OPEN RANGE areas, like is said in this Oklahoma law journal:

https://digitalcommons.law.utulsa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://duckduckgo.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1108&context=tlr:

"Ranchers and farmers face constant problems resulting from unauthorized hunting and fishing upon their lands. This of course is unlawful in the absence of consent from the owner or the occupier of the land.'
However, the law provides that no consent is required where the land is unoccupied unless a conspicuous notice is posted upon the land by the owner or his agent. Prosecutions for alleged violation of the statute can be commenced only by written complaint filed in the proper court by
the owner or occupier of the land or upon written complaint to an authorized game ranger. Upon conviction for violation of the statute the offender will be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished accordingly."
(My bold)

That's the way it's been in many places I've lived, hunted, and fished for years. THE OK reference was just the first I found. I'd hazard a guess there's more like it for other Western states. On Open Range, private UNOCCUPIED land bordering public land has always been thought of as usable unless posted.

I'm at least glad ID is attempting to change the law, in a legal manner rather than by fiat. But I'm not happy with having to know, to within an inch, where un-surveyed property lines are in undeveloped lands. Yes, I can tell a tilled field, as Rock Chuck has pointed out, but see picture above and tell me where the private/BLM land boundary is out by the big rock and hill in the distance? There's no fence or signs out there, I've checked wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?